Shadowhunters: S01E01 The Mortal Cup

RATING
⭐⭐⭐

BEWARE OF SPOILERS

I might have given this three stars but I'm hoping that one day, it's up to five.

Let's start from the very beginning.

I know shadowhunters are supposed to be faster and stronger but definitely not like that. I mean come on. They feel more like vampires than Nephilims. 

Even though I'm getting used to the whole activating runes thing, it's still a little weird.

Let's talk about the shape shape shifting demon. What I don't get is that why it didn't change shape before. I mean when they see the Demon's photo at the institute it looks the same as when they hunt it but the moment they follow him it changes shape. If I were the demon, I'd constantly change shape.

And can't demons see shadowhunters even when they have the cloaking rune on. Also the Clace scene is so abrupt. 

"Hey, can you watch where you're going?" ~Clary
"You can see me?" ~Jace
Theme Song

I do like that we go back eight hours and see the events leading up to the moment where Clary is introduced to the Shadow world.

We see Clary audition for Art School.
I didn't get the whole decorative thing. It didn't look decorative and did it have some significance. Why would they care if she drew some monsters and I'm kind of curious about it's significance.

And the scenes with Simon and Clary. I love that he's so riled up about her getting in. Their friendship seems so genuine. The whole I'll end them thing was such a friend thing to say and their dynamic is just perfect.

Then we see Clary's special ability to turn real objects to pictures. Personally, that was a bit early. It should've happened latter. The moment I saw the tarot card I immediately knew. Yes I know it's because I read the book but as soon as the new comers heard about cup, they probably got it too!

And then there was the thing about Luke controlling the dog. I mean anyone who's never read the book might jump to the conclusion about what he is immediately.

There was no such thing as subtlety in this show.

I love Clary and Jocelyn's dynamic but the flashback, not really that realistic.
And why would they need to tie Clary down. It kind of seemed unnecessary.

I did not like Maureen, when we first saw her I was like, Maia! And where the hell is the rest of Simon's band? Where is Eric? Where are the others? How the hell will we meet Kyle then?

Alec just seemed so Alec. He's amazing. He has this reserved feel about him that feels perfect for Alec. Izzy isn't half bad either, but I had a little trouble with Jace's portrayal. He isn't as cocky or witty as he's supposed to be. He was who I was most excited about and he was kind of a let down.

The scene at the club was alright. It didn't blow my mind but it was okay.

I didn't like the portal though. It seemed to disintegrate Clary. That's just not how portals work!

Valentine. Now he was a character who was played flawlessly.

I wish Clary was the one that killed the Ravener demon like she did in the books. I mean it was the first demon she killed in the book, it was significant. I also wished that we had that scene with Clary and Jace right before she lost consciousness and he had that quip. It was something Jace would definitely say and they cut that line. Also the slap. I mean come on. Clary slapped him for not being sure about her being a Nephilim and still putting that rune on her.

I love that we have new characters and that we get to see this world in such depth. It's going to be quite interesting.

I'm hopeful about how this series will turn out though, I have high hopes.

Anyways, so all the people who've never read the book, what did you think of it. Is it better for you since you're not psychoanalyzing and comparing each line that comes out of the characters mouths?

PS. I plan on watching it to the very end no matter what happens.

May the Angel bless you!

Descensus facilis Averno est

PS. #ShadowhuntersFandomUnited

No comments:

Post a Comment